You are thinking, I must really be bored. If not now, maybe halfway through these scenarios. I am not brave enough to guarantee 100% accuracy, but the math gene in my DNA makes something like this impossible to resist. Possibilities follow standings.
First, Wednesday night’s results. West Columbus edged Red Springs in the second day of back to back games 45-43. The sweep of the Red Devils earned the Vikings Boys a second-place regular season finish. West Columbus trailed by one point entering the final quarter before outscoring Red Springs 12-9. Jake Brownlee scored 19 points and gathered in 13 rebounds. The Vikings dominated the glass, outboarding the Red Devils 36-17.
The Red Springs girls outscored West Columbus 26-7 in the final period to break away to a 55-34 win. West Columbus faces a “must win” situation at home against East Columbus Friday to have a chance to advance to the playoffs.
Fairmont’s boys placed six players in double figures in their 91-57 win over West Bladen. West Bladen edged the Golden Tornado girls 58-54.
Girls (through February 7) Conf. Overall
East Bladen 16-1 21-1
Red Springs 14-3 16-6
Whiteville 11-6 12-10
St. Pauls 10-7 12-11
East Columbus (1A) 10-7 12-8
West Columbus (1A) 9-8 12-12
Fairmont 6-11 8-15
West Bladen 5-12 7-15
South Columbus 3-14 3-17
South Robeson (1A) 1-16 1-20
Boys (through February 7) Conf. Overall
Fairmont 16-1 22-1
West Columbus (1A) 13-4 18-5
Red Springs 12-5 15-7
St. Pauls 11-6 13-10
South Columbus 8-9 12-10
Whiteville 7-10 8-14
South Robeson (1A) 7-10 9-12
East Columbus (1A) 5-12 6-17
West Bladen 3-14 6-17
East Bladen 3-14 5-17
February 9 (Friday)
South Columbus @ Whiteville
East Columbus @ West Columbus
St. Pauls @ Red Springs
West Bladen @ East Bladen
Fairmont @ South Robeson
I have tried to take every possible outcome into consideration, even if the chances for upsets were slim.
Girls possible ties
#3, #4, #5. Whiteville, St. Pauls, East Columbus
- Whiteville defeats South Columbus, Whiteville is solo 3rd at 12-6
- If Whiteville loses and St. Pauls (@ Red Springs) and East Columbus (@ West Columbus) both win all three are 11-7.
- Head to head to head: WHS 3-1, SPHS 2-2, ECHS 1-3
- Or if Whiteville loses and St. Pauls or East Columbus wins, Whiteville and either SP or EC are tied.
- Head to head; Whiteville and St. Pauls split (SP would have win over Red Springs)
- Head to head: Whiteville swept East Columbus
#4, #5, #6 St. Pauls, East Columbus, West Columbus (if Whiteville defeats South Columbus)
- East Columbus wins, St. Pauls and West Columbus lose. #4 EC 11-7, #5 SP 10-8, #6 WC 9-9
- East Columbus would also get 1A automatic berth and seeded as a #1 since overall record is at least .500
- Pauls and West Columbus win, East Columbus loses. #4 St. Pauls 11-7
- East Columbus and West Columbus would be tied (10-8) and split head to head. Neither beat Red Springs. Both Split with St.P, WC has a win over Whiteville, East does not, so West gets #5 and East #6.
- To further complicate matters, seeding for the conference tournament does not determine the automatic 1A bid. If neither East or West Columbus reaches the tournament finals a play off game would be needed. To determine automatic bid. The only way the teams could meet as #5 and #^ seeds would be in finals and that contest would break tie. IF either East or West reaches the tourney finals, that team receives the automatic bid without a play off game.
#7 and #8. Fairmont, West Bladen
- If both lose, #7 Fairmont (6-12), #8 West Bladen (5-13)
- If Fairmont (@ South Robeson) wins. Fairmont 7-11 is #7 no matter what West Bladen (@ East Bladen) does
- If West Bladen upsets East Bladen and Fairmont loses, West Bladen is #7 due to win over #1 East Bladen (Start at top of conference and work your way down)
Boys possible ties
#2, #3. West Columbus, Red Springs
- West Columbus win or lose Friday is second due to sweep of Red Springs.
#3, #4. Red Springs, St. Pauls
- They play each other Friday. Red Springs is #3 with a win
- If St. Pauls wins, both will be 12-6 and split head to head. St. Pauls would get #3 due to win over #2 West Columbus.
#5, #6, #7 South Columbus, Whiteville, South Robeson
- South Columbus (@ Whiteville) win gives Stallions #5
- South Columbus win, South Robeson win (vs Fairmont) gives SC #5,SR #6, WHS #7
- Whiteville and South Robeson wins make all three (8-10). Head to head to head is WHS 3-1, SR 2-2 and SCHS 1-3. WHS #5, SRHS #6, SCHS #7
- Whiteville and South Robeson both lose (7-11). Split head to head. South Robeson win over #2 West Columbus would give the Mustangs #6 and Wolfpack #7
- Whiteville wins, South Robeson loses. WHS and SCHS are tied at 8-10 . Whiteville sweep gives #5 WHS, #6 SCHS, #7 SRHS.
#9, #10 West Bladen, East Bladen
- They play Friday night. Winner is #9 at 4-14 and loser is #10 at 3-15
February 10 (Saturday)
Conference tourney play-in games
Girls, #10 South Robeson @ #7 Fairmont or West Bladen
Girls, #9 South Columbus @ #8 West Bladen or Fairmont
Boys, #10 East Bladen or West Bladen @ #7 Whiteville, South Robeson or South Columbus
Boys, #9 East Bladen or West Bladen @ #8 East Columbus
Schools involved will set times.
February 12 (Monday)*
Girls, Lowest seed remaining from Saturday @ #1 East Bladen
Girls, #5 St. Pauls, East Columbus, West Columbus @ #4 St. Pauls, East Columbus, West Columbus
Boys, Lowest seed remaining from Saturday @ #1 Fairmont
Boys, #5 South Columbus or Whiteville @ #4 St. Pauls or Red Springs
February 13 (Tuesday)*
Girls, Highest seed remaining from Saturday winner @ #2 Red Springs
Girls, #6 East Columbus or West Columbus @ #3 Whiteville or St. Pauls
Boys, Highest seed remaining from Saturday winner @ #2 West Columbus
Boys, #6 South Columbus or South Robeson @ #3 Red Springs or St. Pauls
* If hosting one game start time is 6 pm. If hosting two games start times are 5 and 7 pm. Admission is $ 6