Posted on: 06.4.2018 at 11:52 a.m.
Two Whiteville Police officers, their children and pets escaped injury late Sunday night.
Tabor City Fire Chief Jerry Hodges said Amy and Mark Corder and their children were asleep in their Pireway Road home when they were awakened by the smell of smoke on the second floor.
“She got everybody up and outside so there were no injuries,” Hodges said.
The family’s two pets, a rabbit and a Chihuahua dog, were also both safe.
“We got the rabbit out,” Hodges said, “but nobody could get hands on the dog. It ran past everybody two or three times.”
The fire was reported at 11:37 p.m., Hodges said, and was confined to the upstairs. There was smoke and water damage, Hodges said, but the home is reparable.
“They’re nice people,” he said, “and they stayed calm getting everybody out. It could have been much worse.”