Dog saved as truck burns at Lowe’s

A dog trapped inside a burning truck at the Whiteville Lowe’s was saved by firefighters Monday.

Fire Marshall Hal Lowder said quick response by firefighters and bystanders  kept the fire from extending into the main building. The fire was reported around 1:20 p.m. It was initially reported that the building’s sprinkler system activated, but Lowder said that information’s incorrect.

Lowe’s employees and customers used handheld fire extinguishers to knock down the fire long enough for firefighters to extract the dog, Lowder said. The dog sustained serious burns and was given oxygen before being taken to a local veterinarian, Lowder said.

“He was wagging his tail, so things are looking up,” Lowder said.

Some customers in the main part of the building continued shopping, even while black smoke billowed from the lumber warehouse.

Check back with nrcolumbus.com for more on this developing story, and see Thursday’s print edition for the full report.