It is time to look ahead to Labor Day weekend 2017 and Take the Lake (TTL). Hopefully, you have adopted the National Institute of Health’s recommendation to achieve and maintain a basic level of physical fitness by following a year-around routine of physical activity.
Our goal at TTL is to motivate more people to become physically fit and be able to participate in the TTL Personal Endurance Challenges. TTL occurs only on Labor Day weekend, but getting ready for TTL should occur each week all year around.
Here is a brief “heads-up” description of the 2017 TTL events.
The 2017 theme is “Honoring Health Professionals.” This is highlighted on our T-shirts, all our promotional signs and materials. Shirts are available for $10 at Body Shapers in Whiteville, Lake Time Vintiques and Town Hall in Lake Waccamaw.
In 2017, we continue with the 16-mile Walk/Run, the 16-mile Bike Ride, the 14-mile Kayak Paddle around the lake, and the 4-mile Swim across the lake. Finishers of each event will receive an award.
For those who feel unable to attempt the 16-mile Walk/Run or 16-mile Bike Ride, we offer the shorter 6.2-mile Walk and 6.2-mile Bike Ride. We hope the shorter Walk and Bike Ride events will appeal to those who would otherwise not consider participating in TTL
This year we will also give Grand Slam awards to those who complete all four longer events: the 16-mile Walk/Run, the 16-mile Bike Ride, the 14-mile Paddle and the 4-mile Swim during the 3-day weekend.
Because of the uncertainty of lake water levels in early September and the need to make plans now, the Walk/Run and Bike Ride events will not go around the lake. They will follow dry road routes as in 2016.
We encourage all participants to register early on-line at takethelake.org. You may also register on paper forms at the site before the start of each event, but early online registration will help you avoid lengthy waits to register at the event site. Also, we can only guarantee accurate finish times to those who register early. By registering early on-line, you will only need to pick up your bib number at Body Shapers and show up at the start.
For details of the events, see our website at takethelake.org , check us out on Facebook at facebook.com/takethelake, posters, brochures or contact a member of the Take the Lake planning committee.
Schedule of events:
- Friday, September 1: Lake Waccamaw United Methodist Church: Take the Plate Pasta Supper, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Donations accepted. Portion of proceeds support LWUMC mission projects.
- Saturday, September 2: Elizabeth Brinkley Park: Late registration 7 a.m. – 7:45 a.m. Start 16-mile Walk/Run 8 a.m. (Those registered early may start 16-mile walk 7:15 a.m.). The 6.2-mile Fun Family Walk starts at 8:30 a.m.
- Sunday morning, September 3: Dale’s Restaurant (lake front): Late registration 7 p.m. – 7:45 a.m. Start 14-mile Kayak Paddle 8 a.m.
- Sunday afternoon, September 3: Elizabeth Brinkley Park: Late Registration 1 p.m. – 1:45 p.m. Start 16-mile Bike Ride 2 p.m. The 6.2-mile Fun Family Bike Ride starts at 2:30 p.m.
- Monday, September 4: Dale’s Restaurant (lake front) or at lake dam (site to be determined ): Late registration 7 a.m. – 7:45 a.m. The 4-mile swim starts at 8 p.m.
- Monday, September 4: Dale’s Restaurant or lake dam (site to be determined): Start the X-Treme (complete all four long endurance events in one day) 6:30 a.m. Early registration is required for the X-Treme.
Story submitted by: Grant Egley, TTL Planning Committee Member