Storm update for 2 p.m.
Revised on: 01.7.2018 at 12:24 a.m.
Posted on: 01.3.2018 at 02:00 p.m.
- Columbus County will be opening an emergency shelter at 3 p.m. today at Edgewood Elementary School, located at 317 E. Calhoun Street, Whiteville.
- District Court was cancelled today (Wednesday) due to the weather. All cases from the Jan. 4 session have been continued for the following dates:
Criminal District (including the overflow): Feb. 15
Child Support: Feb. 2
Juvenile: Jan. 18
- Local municipal offices are all closed. Individual towns will make decisions on reopening based on conditions tomorrow.
- Significant snow is falling in Horry County and Loris, S.C. as the storm makes its way up the coast. Accumulations from one to three inches, possibly more, are expected across Columbus County. Ice totals are anticipated to measure two-tenths of an inch. The National Weather Service anticipates power outages in areas south and east of Whiteville as the ice accumulates on trees and power lines.
- • Residents are asked to avoid travel whenever possible when frozen precipitation starts. Emergency officials say ice forming on area ponds and Lake Waccamaw is extremely unstable, and could be thinner than it looks.
Check back with NRcolumbus.com for updates throughout the storm.