Frank looks back at April-June 2017
Revised on: 01.18.2018 at 05:02 a.m.
Posted on: 01.5.2018 at 03:31 p.m.
- The South Columbus boys and Whiteville girls win the Columbus County Track meet titles.
- Whiteville baseball edges East Columbus 3-2 at Legion Stadium aided by a disputed call. This is just 22 days after MacKenzie Gore struck out all 15 Gator batters.
- SCC softball finishes with a 30-11-1 record, the most wins in school history.
- The South Columbus golfers win the TRC championship. Whiteville edges Fairmont for second place.
- West Columbus’ Kaylyn (KK) Horne and Whiteville’s Evan Allen are named All-State Cheerleaders.
- South sweeps East, East sweeps Whiteville and Whiteville sweeps South to create a three-way tie for the TRC softball title. East receives the top 1A seed due to sweeping fellow 1A Whiteville. South earns #1 TRC 2A spot.
- The Three Rivers baseball and softball tournaments are cancelled to allow teams more dates for make up games due to inclement weather.
- Whiteville defeats West Columbus 3-1 in girls soccer. More significant than the win is the margin of victory. This is the closest a Columbus County team has come to defeating Whiteville in girls soccer.
- Whiteville graduate, Jordan Ray wins the top Methodist University award for women’s soccer scholar/athlete.
- Whiteville’s Hannah Duncan wins the 800, 1600, 3200 and runs a leg on the winning 4×800 relay team to lead the Wolfpack girls to the TRC Girls Track championship.
- Wesley Bryant and Anthony Cartrette of South Columbus qualify for the 2A State Golf finals.
- Matt Townsend of Whiteville qualifies for the 1A State Golf finals.
- Whiteville JV softball completes its season with a record of 15-0.
- Whiteville’s Ivy Hayes and /Carly Fulkerson combine to no-hit Fairmont in a 13-0 softball victory.
- Williams Township wins softball; Central wins baseball, Jiggs Powers Middle School Tournament titles.
- Mason Hewett wins the TRC 2A singles title for the second consecutive year. Hewett later advances to the 2A state tournament.
- East Columbus’ Hector Palacios wins 1A TRC singles and the Gators Octavio Palacios and Marco Borja win the 1A TRC doubles crowns. Octavio and Marco advance to the 1A state tournament.
- Whiteville defeats East Columbus in 2nd round 1A dual boys tennis before falling to Raleigh Charter in round three.
- Columbus Christian Academy takes three straight wins to claim the CCAA baseball tournament championship.
- West Columbus baseball defeats defending 1A champion Cherryville 6-0 in the opening round of the 1A playoffs.
- South Columbus softball suffers a 5-4 walk-off loss to two-time defending state champion South Granville in 2A 3rd round action.
- Kourtney Grainger’s ninth inning homer is the game-winner as the Pack wins 5-4 at Camden County. It was a total team effort as pitcher Ivy Hayes only struck out one batter, but induced 17 fly ball outs.
- The next day after the 500+ mile round trip to Camden County. Whiteville defeated East Columbus 11-1 in 3rd round softball play. The Gators swept the Wolfpack in the regular season. East had agreed to postpone the game a day due to Whiteville’s travel, but the NCHSAA would not allow the delay.
- Franklin Academy ended the Whiteville Girls Soccer season with a victory in 4th round action.
- Whiteville softball and baseball and softball advance to the 1A state finals, sweeping Louisburg and Rosewood respectively.
- Whiteville baseball sweeps Murphy for its fourth title in six years. After dominating game one 10-0, the Wolfpack staged a seventh inning comeback to win game two and the championship 9-8. Brooks Baldwin’s hit tied the game and Jake Harwood’s single scored Dylan Hamilton with the championship-winning run.
- Whiteville softball experienced a heart-breaking, 11-inning loss in game three of the 1A championship to finish as runners-up for the second time in four years.
- South Columbus grad, Tanner Duncan, led the ECU Club baseball team to the championship of the 2017 Club Baseball World Series. Duncan pitched all 10 innings in the title-clinching 1-0 win over Nevada. Duncan later signed a free agent contract with the Houston Astros organization.
- Sage McLelland was named the TRC Softball Player of the year.
- MacKenzie Gore and Brooks Baldwin were named 1A first-team members by the NC Baseball Coaches Association.
- The East Columbus SweeTees, East Columbus Darlings, South Columbus Angels and South Columbus Belles all win District 9 Dixie Softball titles. The SweeTees and Angels both advance to the World Series.
- Riegelwood’s AA (Coach-Pitch) team dominates the District 2 tournament. The Riegelwood team advances to World Series play where it won several games.
- South Columbus Dixie Youth Baseball’s Mike Jackson is inducted into the Danny Jones Club of Dixie Youth Baseball.
- Whiteville Post 137 has to forfeit several games due to an ineligible player.
- The Wolfpack Optimist wins the AAA District 2 title.
- James Hobbs is named the new football coach at East Columbus. Hobbs becomes the third coach in four years at the Lake Waccamaw school.