Frank looks back at January-March of 2017
A look at some of the stories that were noteworthy.
- The Edwards brothers, W.T. and Bryant, West and South Columbus boys basketball teams face off for the first time. Bryant’s Stallions come out on top 42-40.
- South Columbus’ Dennis Leggett is named to NCPreps 2A All-State football team.
- The West Columbus varsity cheerleaders win the Small Varsity, Non-Tumbling state championship.
- Sara Watson, from South Columbus, wins the 2017 NC High School balance beam state title.
- East Columbus’ Harley Potter bowls a 299 in the Columbus/Brunswick league semi-finals.
- Central Middle’s girls (32-27 over Hallsboro) and boys (54-39 over Chadbourn) win the silver anniversary edition of the Hallsboro Middle Basketball Invitational. Both squads would finish the season undefeated.
- The East Columbus girls win their sixth consecutive TRC basketball regular season championship.
- Whiteville’s boys share the TRC title with Fairmont.
- Red Springs girls defeat East Columbus and Fairmont boys defeat Whiteville for TRC tournament championships.
- East Columbus girls advance to third round of 1A playoffs before losing to Pamlico.
- Whiteville’s boys fall to Kestral Heights 74-69 in fourth round of 1A playoffs. The SBE closed Kestral Heights High in March due to students receiving diplomas who did not meet graduation requirements.
- West Columbus graduate and ECU freshman, Trey Benton, pitches five shut out innings for the Pirates, striking out 10 to earn his first collegiate win against LaSalle.
- Tyrell Kirk of Whiteville and Charity Powell of Eat Columbus are named the TRC boys and girls “Player of the Year”
- East Columbus Girls Soccer breaks a 19-game winless streak with a 3-2 win over Pender.
- Whiteville’s MacKenzie Gore and Brooks Baldwin combine to pitch a perfect game in a five inning, 12-0, win over Red Springs. Gore struck out 10 in four innings; Baldwin struck out two in a 1-2-3 fifth frame.
- Tyrell Kirk is named second team All-State by the NC Basketball Coaches Association.
- Whiteville Girls Soccer retires 2016 graduate Madison Hinson’s jersey. Hinson scored 144 goals in her career, including 50 in both her sophomore and junior seasons.
- Whiteville softball scores 10 runs in the top of the seventh inning to take a 10-7 lead over East Columbus. The Gators score four in the bottom of the inning for an 11-10 victory.
- Whiteville’s MacKenzie Gore pitches a “perfect” perfect game at East Columbus. Gore struck out all 15 batters he faced, using just 56 pitches in the Wolfpack’s 11-0 five inning win.
- East Columbus defeats West Columbus 7-6 in baseball. The Gators trailed 5-0 after four innings, but battled back. Garrett Jacobs scored the winning run in the bottom of the seventh as the Vikings attempted to retire Kenji Bowen in a run down.